Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Helpful hints

When we moved back to Pennsylvania, we were given a really nice, solid wood table that seats six. The previous owners (Matt's aunt and uncle) had purchased a piece of glass to go over the top of it. They had cats and wanted to be sure the top of the table wouldn't get scratched by them.

But the problem with glass tops on wooden tables is .... the mess gets under the glass, despite my efforts to keep them above! So instead of just wiping (or scrubbing, depending on the meal and the child) the table, sometimes I have to lift the glass and clean the underside of the glass as well as the top of the table. ((sigh)) I don't know about you, but that's like 3x the necessary table-scrubbing!

So today at Joann Fabrics I spied the vinyl table coverings and got 2 yards (@ $3.99/yd). But I had a 50% off 1 cut of fabric coupon (it was in the Sunday paper, but it also comes in the mail directly to your home if you are on their mailing list). So for just under $4 I have a piece a piece of my mind left ;).

Just FYI - I guessed at the 2 yards part, but it over hangs by about 4 inches on every side. I wouldn't want a lot more, because it would hit peoples legs when they sit down.

ETA: In the comments: Hey Susie, love this idea, my girlfriend does this and sometimes has a tablecloth under it or puts art work of the kiddos or maps (she homeschools) and school paper, memory work under it so it is visible for a week or so then switches em up. --- I love this idea! I'm going to have to do that!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Susie, love this idea, my girlfriend does this and sometimes has a tablecloth under it or puts art work of the kiddos or maps (she homeschools) and school paper, memory work under it so it is visible for a week or so then switches em up. Love your blog, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the table stays the same size all the time, why not staple the vinyl under the table and then it does not move when you wipe and you do not have the overhang. You can put place mats under too if you want. My SIL did this and it was great for her growing family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another neat idea, maybe for your older one, is to do table setting placemats underneath. There are so many cute ones you could sew or even just print and color. :o)

    ReplyDelete