Thursday, July 8, 2010

Whoa....

If you haven't been here in the last day or two - check out the post below. Big changes on the horizon. The not-so-distant horizon, to be exact.

The lack of blogging in the last two weeks (I have no excuse before that), was me waiting until we announced our plan to move back to the USA. I didn't have much to say that didn't relate to packing, weeding out, buying plane tickets, and selling my used stuff online.

To be fair, there's certainly not any packing happening yet. I have 7 weeks and 3 days to do that. Eek.

We've decided that - with the exception of the baby clothes and some sentimental stuff - we're just going to sell everything (and get rid of whatever we can't sell). I must say, while it is daunting, it's liberating too!

Yesterday I stopped at the Salvation Army and dropped off at least 10 grocery bags full of clothing I didn't like, fit, or otherwise need. How on earth did I accumulate that much clothing? I certainly didn't buy it! No, Marine Reach Ministries is a transient-type ministry. Schools come in for 6 months and then leave 2x a year (soon to be 4x a year). Staff come for a year or two, and then go home to Europe, Canada, or the USA every year. Those 2x 50lb suitcases don't hold a lot. A lot of clothing gets left behind, and I always rummage through to find something "new". It's nice to have a change in the wardrobe for no money, but eventually you've got to get rid of something. Especially when you've hit every size between 12 and 2 in the last 4 years, more than once. The clothing sizes, the plethora of options.... it was time to purge the closet. We're *only* keeping the stuff that fits. And the maternity clothes *stay* in New Zealand!

And shipping your gear home is REALLY not worth the money. REALLY. No, REALLY. I got a quote. Over a $1000 for 1 cubic metre. That's about 3ft x 3ft x 3ft. Um .... that's not going to house much at all folks. And I'm not paying $1000 for send stuff that's not worth $1000!

There's a sense of relief, when I think of going back "home" to PA. *Home is a nebulous term for me, it really just means, "Where-my-pillow-is". There's also apprehension.

*Recession, *Rent, *Vehicle, *Children, *Work-At-Home-Mom, *Stay-At-Home-Mom, *Work-Outside-the-Home-Mom, *Moving internationally with children, *Building friendships for the girls ...

It's overwhelming. But I know, that I know, that I know, that I know it's the right choice. And I've got to cling to that, because I'm sure some day very soon I'll be staring into a suitcase, wondering what I've gotten myself into.

Glad you're all here with me to read my chronicles. I'm glad that people "out there", get me.




7 comments:

  1. I completely understand this. Two suitcases each. Hang in there girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending love and prayers for all of the very big changes coming your way. Although I'm sure there is much apprehension, I can also sense that this is exciting and liberating as well...to downsize your things and take a leap of faith with your family and trusting in the Lord.

    Praying for you as you embark on this new journey...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll do great - and your girls will be fine with the move. Especially if they'll now have more family nearby.

    And selling/giving away all (or at least most) of your stuff?? WOW. I purged a lot when we moved from our last house to our current home, and it felt great. Just remember all of the unpacking you WON'T have to do when you get home!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know why, but I was really excited to read you are coming home to the U.S. Maybe I was thinking of the fact that you'll have more family available to you and am happy for you in that.

    You'll, of course, be arriving right about the time Fall colors come out. What a refreshing time to come. Will that mean, though, that you will be leaving after winter there and arriving just before winter here? Oh, my. Hope you don't mind the cold!

    I'll enjoy reading your "chronicles" as this new adventure unfolds. I think you are all going to thrive.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow all that comes to mind is this song. Not sure why, though. Perhaps it's what you're needing at this very moment?

    Rejoice in the Lord always & again I say rejoice.
    (clap, clap)
    Rejoice in the Lord always & again I say rejoice!
    (clap, clap)
    Rejoice
    Rejoice
    and again I say rejoice.
    Rejoice,
    Rejoice,
    and again I say rejoice.

    These are the days the Lord has made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure exactly where in PA you'll be moving/looking for work, but we're in York if you ever want to get the little ones together :)
    May God bless your marriage and family abundantly in this move.
    -Jennie Gann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blessings on this new adventure! Know that I think of you often, even though I don't check in much, my three littles are keeping me busy! Number 4 is on the way too! Even though it's not super close, I'm in MI, which is not too far from PA either...so maybe one day we'll have a little get together! (((hugs))) The girls are beautiful and getting so big!

    ReplyDelete