I spent the 10 days before Oceana's birthday knitting furiously on this pattern[the hooded pullover]. I took a quick trip out with friends [DTS students] to The Warehouse. We spotted inexpensive yarn [which probably means its cheap and crap, but for a sweater that will get the tar beat out of it, seeing as it belongs to a 4 year old, I'm not too worried], and I snagged up 6 skeins. In the end I only needed about 4 1/2, which really surprised me. I think my gauge was off just a bit - the sweater came out smaller than I thought.
It fits, snuggly. It'll only fit this winter, even though it was a size 4/5. If I made it again, I'd go up at least 1, if not 2 needles sizes, but I was working with what I had [3.0mm/3.25mm]- not what the pattern called for.
And for the record, every knitting needle in our house is stored [and put away every time they're not in my hands] 5' or higher now.