Monday, September 22, 2008

Nothing Noteworthy

Ok, so maybe it's not entirely true. But I've been popping onto my Blogger Dashboard this weekend and every time I see that I have no comments to check, it reminds me I haven't written anything. Well, I guess it's been a busy enough weekend that I didn't want to bother thinking through some bloggable material. 

Well that, and the one thing I did want to blog about....

*Cry with me, I didn't get good pictures*

*Pout*

My friends Jeremy & Lori got married this weekend and I was their wedding coordinator. My job at Marine Reach as Events Coordinator has been shaped much by my experience with weddings and other events. Matt and I had a budget thrifty inexpensive wedding; we planned everything ourselves. When I say everything, I mean, all but the food since my very very very cool father-in-law refused to let us have any part in it, except to say "What do you want?". Bet you didn't have hot wings and meatballs at your wedding! 

Just a month after our wedding, my friend Danielle T. got married and I flew in for the day.I remembered all the stuff that had either gone wrong, or had needed figuring out on the day, and I remembered it all. It also helped that I'd been working in a wedding gown shop for over 6 months by then, and had wedding running in the brain 24-7. All the silly things like - fluffing the petticoats and having safety pins in case the bustle fell down, offering to help the bride pee, and holding all the lipsticks! 

About 9 months later I was in my friend Jessie's wedding, and it reinforced, yet again, those things I needed to know. Everything from decorations to which side those boutonnieres go on. And one of the most important thing - "Please don't freak the bride out 25 minutes before she walks down the aisle!"

Another 5 months later I helped my girlfriend Nesi plan hers - from putting together invitations to sewing her wedding gown, to telling her bridesmaids when to walk - it's just gradually happened. 

And then this year Lori asked me to help out at hers. It was really a great day, I enjoyed it. Of course by the end of the day I was saying, "If I have to cook dinner tonight, I'll scream." Thank goodness for pizza! 

One more thing I've learned recently is this - if I'm going to do this again - Oceana will be babysat. There's far too many variables when Oceana's on the loose. Nothing went wrong, but I can't be worrying about her mucking with stuff, and do my job. 

14 comments:

  1. I bet you did awesome!! Even with a little lady running around. :) Isn't it funny how we just kind of fall into these callings, sometimes.

    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so not cut out to coordinate stuff like that. Equally, I am thankful that I have been married for 14 years and don't plan on doing the whole wedding thing again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie,
    I love your blog. I would have for you to feel like noone loves you!!!! I am a faithful reader! Please never stop. You have an adorable family and sweeet Joshua was such a blessing to us all.
    Mary Ann in Mississippi

    ReplyDelete
  4. With all the assisting friends with wedding preparations... have you ever wanted to be a wedding planner???

    I think it is great that you are there for your friends. Every bride needs a little help on her wedding day. If for nothing else just to keep her from freaking totally.

    ToOdLeS.ShEiLA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure that they were insanely thankful that you were there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun!! I love weddings! I understand about the no photos that happens :) Have a super week

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too, love to get comments. We live in what I refer to as the "boondocks". We're about 20-25 minutes from the nearest shopping. Very rural area. Anyway!

    I love weddings! How fun to be able to coordinate them. Sounds like you enjoy being able to share the "love" w/ some lucky bride on her big day. Good for you. That would be one of my dream jobs.

    I also followed your previous post (sorry about not commenting) & went to Verna's site. I'm so glad that they found you.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!! you are not only talented but BRAVE!!!! I would have never thought of taking Josiah to a wedding I had to coordiante but then again I'm told girls are a little less "ALL OVER THE PLACE" than boys! I bet wedding coordinating is fun, almost like planning yours (I mean I know its work but it must be fun too be around such a happy occasion)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always wanted to be a wedding planner! Maybe you have some advice for someone who wants to start out?

    Debbie Lionberger
    ccslah@yahoo.com
    Dallas City, IL

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun! I thought for the longest time that I would love to be a wedding planner someday. Then I got married myself and realized how much work it is, lol! It would still be fun to assist though :)

    I bet you did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. *SIGH* I would LOVE to be a wedding/events coordinator. I just never got around to it, and there really isn't much call for it up here, I don't think. Adam and I want to re-do our vows next year-in a couple... and I can't wait to organise that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wanted to comment I that I read your blog EVERYDay...you entertain me =)

    -Allison, NJ

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't have meatballs and hotwings, but I did have pizza and salad. It was pretty amazing too!!

    ReplyDelete