The reasons we thought Joshua was blind and/or deaf....
* He didn't follow us or react to us being near him, unless we made something move or touched him
* He didn't react to us waving our hands in front of his face (really closely, where someone would normally blink)
* He was startled by a camera flash once, but never again.
* He was startled by thunder once, but never again.
* He never turned his head when we called his name.
* A friend of ours who was doctor told us that because of the way his brain had grown backwards, instead of upwards, it was most likely that his optical nerves had been damaged or were no longer connected. The same went for his hearing.