Friday, May 23, 2008

The Creamed Corn Biscuits

I was reading over at Smackdab in the Middle of life some time ago, and read about cornbread with creamed corn in it. So the other night I was making one of my favourite meals - curried pumpkin soup with buttermilk biscuits, but realized I was nearly out of milk. I dind't want to put my cups of coffee in jeopardy, so I thought, what else can I use instead of milk.

A quick peruse through the cupboard found me a can of creamed corn. I think I was given it, because I would never buy creamed corn, since I wouldn't know the first thing to put it into...

So I "adjusted" my recipe. Here's what I did. I make no guarantees okay?

Creamed Corn Biscuits

1 3/4 c flour
1/2 t salt
2 t baking powder
1 t sugar (I'd omit this another time)
1/2 t baking soda (I put it in this time, but didn't like it - I could taste it every once in awhile)
5 T butter or margarine (I used low fat spread... whatever works)
Usually it's 3/4 c buttermilk (3/4 c milk with 3/4 T vinegar), instead I put in that much creamed corn.

180C or 350F for about 20-30 minutes. The creamed corn took forever to cook through, but it made very moist biscuits. I also added a bit of garlic and onion diced small. Very yummy. You can also add crumbled bacon for a yummy savoury taste.

And because I know someone's gonna ask bout the soup - here's the recipe I use. (It's about as exact as I cook... Aahahaha).

1 medium crown pumpkin (orange inside, blue outside) but I think anything will do, probably not regular orange pumpkin - thing squash most likely.
1 onion, diced
1-2 t garlic
2 T oil (or so)
Peel and chop the pumpkin into chunks (like 1-1/2" square)
In a large pot, fry up the onion and garlic and put the pumpkin in for a bit to tenderize. When the onion is cooked through, and it's starting to run out of oil, pour over enough water to cover the pumpkin and leave it to boil until it's all mushy. If you have a blender, this make it easier - just puree the whole thing. For a chunkier soup, just use a masher. Add milk, sour cream, or cream to give it a creamy taste and enough water to make it a bit thicker than tomato soup.
Add whatever you like of the following:
1/2 t pepper
1 t salt
1 T mild curry powder
1 t ginger

And let it get hot. Be careful, when it boils it splatters and sticks. I have a bubbled-up burn on my finger to prove it.

Very yummy, and very satisfying and filling. Very good for cold nights. It's different, definitely not what you'd think of for pumpkin. It's a Kiwi or English thing.

9 comments:

  1. Hi! Just wanted to let you know that Pumpkin/Butternut Squash soup is my absolute favourite, and my fiance hates it too! More for me in my opinion! :)

    I've been wanting to leave you a message for months, but have never found the right words to say, but your last post gave me a place to start.

    You may think that you are just muddling through, taking each day as it comes, and doing the best you can, but you really have done so much more. You ARE amazing, and you fought when others would have given up.

    You and your family have shown so much strength and courage that the title of your blog doesn't really come close to expressing how incredible you all are.

    That's it I think. I just really had to get that out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting those recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You MUST try the creamed corn "straight." Our favorite way to eat it is to pour it in a bowl, add a teaspoon of butter and nuke it in the microwave for about three minutes.

    We then serve it on the side with breakfast (eggs, sausage, bacon, toast, biscuits, etc.)

    It is YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum, yum, yum! Big fan of soup myself, and I'm getting hungry thinking about it! Funny about the pumpkin soup. My boys have never liked pumpkin, or kumara for that matter. Probably the sweetest of all the veges, and they won't touch them! Until Monday. Campbell helped make pumpkin soup at daycare, and brought his cup home with him to eat for lunch. Cue the fighting - possibly my favourite of all time - Bridie wanted some too, but Campbell wanted it all - 'I want some', 'no I want some' - love it - my kids fighting over pumpkin soup! We had to make some for dinner that night - Hayden was out so didn't know about that. Cue fight number two. Next morning Campbell told Hayden we had pumpkin soup for dinner, and we're having it again tonight eh Mum?! ha ha ha!! If only all the fights could be about who gets to finish up the pumpkin soup! Time to go raid the pantry I think!!
    Hope you guys have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok...it sounds like you're describing an acorn squash. Or do you mean a pumpkin--like the orange things we carve & sit on our porch at Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
  6. See, I still think that pumpkin pie is just... a nasty idea. *grin* It's a vegetable... not a dessert :) Love, love, love pumpking soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susie.... I've been a lurker for a while. Just have to say you have great courage, I've followed your story since you had the photos done with Brent (?).

    You are doing a great job, just take each day as it comes, and remember, tomorrow is another day.

    The reason for coming out of lurkdom? Creamed corn. Like the poster above me, yummy to eat by itself, or another way, yummy again, sweetcorn fritters. The recipe is in the Edmonds cookbook (I only say that 'cause I know you are in NZ) and easy as.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quickie but not from scratch cornbread. Using Jiffy brand corn muffin mix--2 pkgs to 1 can cream soup. Mix as it says on the instructions and just add the cream corn- bake as suggested til golden brown. This makes the sweetest, moistest cornbread ever. My guys love it with chili or soups. Thanks for sharing your recipe, I'm gonna try it the next time I make chili.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I just wanted to tell you that my parent's pastor, at the Church of Christ in Naperville, Illinois did a sermon a couple weeks ago on being strong and courageous.

    Here's the link
    http://www.napervillechurch.org/podcast_files/Sermon051808.mp3

    ReplyDelete