Saturday, April 19, 2008

The weekend in pictures

I remember last fall (or spring, depending on your country or hemisphere of origin) that Tarah mentioned going through her everyday life and thinking "Ooh! I should blog this." Well, I was stuck in a car for 3 hours yesterday and another 3 today. So be encouraged, I was thinking of you - or at least of your blog-reading material.

I realize this is completely uninteresting for you Kiwis and Aussies. But I found these things amazing when I first came to New Zealand. And they always put me off edge for a few days when I come back from a trip (to the USA).



Driving on the left side of the road. And the driver is on the right side.
That means:
You shift with your left hand
Hit the directional/indicator with your right hand
When you're the passenger you're in the "driver's seat"



The roads here aren't just paved. They are laid with tar and then gravel. And then there's signs to slow down and ones like this "New Seal".
Basically, this means:

If you don't slow down you'll end up skidding on the gravel and/or getting chips in your front window



Maori words.

90% of towns have Maori names. Only Australian Aborigine names are worse (Wollallong???).

Can you pronounce Mangatawhiri.

It's "Muhng, uh, tuh, fee, dee"

Technically the "dee" is "ree", but think Spanish pronounciation.



Well, you know you wanted to see something more than grey/green photos. She ate the whole time. I never pack enough [interesting] snacks.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. thinking of blogs is addicting but I think actaully blogging is more so. Hope you guys enjoy your 4 days off. I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit worried about driving when I go back to America. The other side of the road seems more normal to me now!

    ReplyDelete